To mark the “International Day of Commemoration in Memory of the Victims of the Holocaust”, as declared by the United Nations General Assembly in November 2005, the Embassies of Israel and Germany, the UN and the Kigali Genocide Memorial commemorate this horrific loss of life and the liberation of Auschwitz by holding a lecture.
This joint event sends the strong signal that Germans and Israelis can today remember the victims of these horrible crimes together, side by side. It also demonstrates that reconciliation is possible even in the aftermath of unspeakable crimes.
Dr. Lea Prais, Director of projects at the International Institute for Holocaust Research, Yad Vashem (Jerusalem, Israel) will present the lecture, titled “The Blurred Stories. The Beginning of the Final Solution.”
The Commemoration Ceremony and lecture takes place on Monday, 25th January, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. at the Kigali Genocide Memorial.
- 09:30-10:00 Arrival and installation of participants
- 10:00 Introduction by the MC, Freddy Mutanguha
- 10:10 Kaddisch
- 10:15 Welcome address by the German Ambassador, Mr. Peter Fahrenholtz
- 10:20 Screening of a UN Clip
- 10:30 Speech by UN RC, Mr. Lamin Manneh
- 10:35 Speech by Ambassador Belaynesh Zevadia
- 10:40 Lecture by Dr. Prais: “The Blurred Stories. The Beginning of the Final Solution.”
- 11:25 Key note speech by Rwandan Rep.
- 11:35 Music
- 11:45 Closing – Refreshments